Convenor: Dr. Sudha Gulati
Kalindi College has taken several steps to stop ragging within and outside the college. During orientation programme, all the freshers were informed in detail about ragging as well as strict punishment against the students involved in ragging.
Freshers were also informed about contact numbers and e-mail of Anti-Ragging Committee members to report about any ragging activity in the college to the committee members. Several teams of teachers were made every year to take round in the college during college hours to check ragging activities. Strict decisions were taken by anti-ragging committee to curb this offence. The students involved in ragging will be punished, rusticated and even expelled for a specific term as per decision of the Principal and University guidelines. Several notice boards were fixed up in the college at prominent places stating punishment for ragging as per ordinance XV-C. No ragging case has been reported by student of our college. The college submits a report regarding anti- ragging to the university every year.
Prohibition of and Punishment for Ragging
- Ragging in any form is strictly prohibited within the premises of College/Department or Institution and any part of Delhi University system as well as on public transport.
- Any individual or collective act or practice of ragging constitutes gross indiscipline and shall be dealt with under this Ordinance.
- Ragging for the purposes of this Ordinance means any act, conduct or practice by which dominant power or status of senior students is brought to bear on students freshly enrolled or students who are in any way considered junior or inferior by other students and includes individual or collective acts or practices which:
- involve physical assault or threat to use of physical force;
- violate the status, dignity and honour of women students;
- violate the status, dignity and honour of students belonging to the scheduled caste and tribes;
- expose students to ridicule and contempt and affect their self-esteem;
- entail verbal abuse and aggression, indecent gestures and obscene behaviour.
- The Principal of a College, the Head of the Department of an Institution, the authorities of College, of University Hostels or Halls of Residence shall take immediate action on any information of the occurrence of ragging.
- Notwithstanding anything in Clause (4) above, the Proctor may also suo moto enquire into any incident of ragging and make a report to the Vice-chancellor of the identity of those who have engaged in ragging and the nature of the incident.
- The Proctor may also submit an initial report establishing the identity of the perpetrators of ragging and the nature of the ragging incident.
- If the Principal of College or Head of the Department or Institution or the Proctor is satisfied that for some reason, to be recorded in writing, it is not reasonably practical to hold such an enquiry, he/she may so advise the Vice-Chancellor accordingly.
- When the Vice-Chancellor is satisfied that it is not expedient to hold such an enquiry, his/her decision shall be final.
- On the receipt of a report under Clause (5) or (6) or a determination by the relevant authority under Clause (7) disclosing the occurrence of ragging incidents described in Clause 3 (a), (b) and (c), the Vice-Chancellor shall direct or order rustication of a student or students for a specific number of years.
- The Vice-Chancellor may in other cases of ragging order or direct that any student or students be expelled or be not, for a stated period, admitted to a course of study in a college, departmental examination for one or more years, or that the results of the student concerned in the examination or examinations in which they appeared, be cancelled.
- In case any students who have obtained degrees of Delhi University are found guilty under this Ordinance, appropriate action under Statute 15 for withdrawal of degrees conferred by the University shall be initiated.
- For the purpose of this Ordinance, abetment to ragging will also amount to ragging.
- All institutions within the Delhi University system shall be obligated to carry out instructions/ directions issued under this Ordinance, and to give aid and assistance to the Vice- Chancellor to achieve the effective implementation of the Ordinance.
Note: Order of the Vice-Chancellor in pursuance of Ordinance XV-C: Where incident(s) of ragging are reported to the Vice-Chancellor by any authority under this Ordinance, the students(s) involved in ragging, shall be expelled for a specified term, designated in the order. Non-students involved in reports of ragging will be proceeded with under the criminal law of India; they will also be rendered ineligible for a period of five years from seeking enrolment in any of the institutions of the University of Delhi. Students against whom necessary action is taken under this note, will be given post decisional hearing, with strict adherence to the rules of natural justice.